This week, to the delight of Star Wars fans, Disney has officially announced that Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is opening ahead of schedule on May 31 at Disneyland Resort in Southern California and August 29 at Disney’s Hollywood Studios in Florida. I want to be there!
Disney Parks Blog said that Galaxy’s Edge “is debuting early because of high guest interest in experiencing this new, immersive land. On opening day for phase one, you’ll be able to live your own Star Wars story and take the controls of the most famous ship in the galaxy aboard Millennium Falcon: Smugglers Run, sample amazing galactic food and beverages, explore an intriguing collection of merchant shops, and more.
And for phase two, opening later this year will be Star Wars: Rise of the Resistance, the most ambitious, immersive, and advanced attraction ever imagined that will put guests in the middle of a climactic battle between the First Order and the Resistance and will blur the lines between fantasy and reality. In light of tremendous demand, Disney made the decision to open the land in phases to allow guests to enjoy sooner the one-of-a-kind experiences that make Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge so spectacular.”
Here is the Instagram video post on the Starwars feed:
How Do I Get Access to Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge?
The Disney Parks Blog says: “Guests planning to visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at Disneyland park in California between May 31 and June 23, 2019, will need valid theme park admission and will be required to make a no-cost reservation, (subject to availability), to access the land… Guests staying at one of the three Disneyland Resort hotels during these dates will receive a designated reservation to access Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge during their stay (one reservation per registered guest); valid theme park admission is required.
In other words, you should be able to get access with no problem at California’s Disneyland between May 31 and June 23, 2019, but access is not guaranteed. You need to reserve your slot unless you are staying at one of the three Disneyland Resort hotels during these dates. If you stay at these hotels, you will receive a designated reservation.
In Orlando, they say, “reservation will not be offered or required to experience Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge at the Walt Disney World Resort at this time and a valid theme park admission to Disney’s Hollywood Studios is required to visit Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge after its opening on August 29, 2019.” But it is worth noting that capacity is apparently limited.
Galaxy’s Edge will be available during Extra Magic Hours. They say: “During Extra Magic Hours, guests staying at select Walt Disney World Resort hotels can spend extra time at Disney’s Hollywood Studios enjoying select attractions.”
As capacity is limited, a nice way to be sure of access is to stay at a Disney hotel or a hotel with extra Magic Hours, which includes the gorgeous Four Seasons Resort Orlando just up the road.
What Hotels Have Disney’s Extra Magic Hours?
All guests staying at official Walt Disney World Resort hotels receive access to Extra Magic Hours. Book these hotels or any other hotels via our luxury travel concierge. We offer free upgrades, free breakfasts, free hotel credit, and VIP gifts at luxury hotels for the same price as the hotel’s own websites.
Hotels with Extra Magic Hours include:
- Disney’s All-Star Movies Resort
- Disney’s All-Star Music Resort
- Disney’s All-Star Sports Resort
- Disney’s Art of Animation Resort
- Disney’s Pop Century Resort
- Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resort
- Disney’s Coronado Springs Resort
- The Cabins at Disney’s Fort Wilderness Resort
- Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – Riverside
- Disney’s Port Orleans Resort – French Quarter
- Disney’s Animal Kingdom Lodge
- Disney’s Beach Club Resort
- Disney’s BoardWalk Inn
- Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Disney’s Polynesian Village Resort
- Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Disney’s Yacht Club Resort
- Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas
- Bay Lake Tower at Disney’s Contemporary Resort
- Boulder Ridge Villas at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- Disney’s Beach Club Villas
- Disney’s BoardWalk Villas
- Copper Creek Villas and Cabins at Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
- The Villas at Disney’s Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
- Disney’s Old Key West Resort
- Disney’s Polynesian Villas & Bungalows
- Disney’s Saratoga Springs Resort & Spa
- Treehouse Villas
- Fort Wilderness Resort & Campground
On March 1, 2019, two more locations have been added to the list of official Walt Disney World Resort hotels. Guests are now eligible for Extra Magic Hours when staying at the Hilton Orlando Bonnet Creek and the Waldorf Astoria Orlando.
In addition to the official Walt Disney World Resort hotels, guests staying at the Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin and the Four Seasons Resort Orlando at Walt Disney World Resort have access as well.
Until December 31, 2019, Extra Magic Hours has also been aded to the Disney Springs Resort Area hotels:
- B Resort & Spa
- Best Western Lake Buena Vista Resort
- DoubleTree Guest Suites by Hilton Orlando
- Hilton Orlando Lake Buena Vista
- Hilton Orlando Buena Vista Palace
- Holiday Inn Orlando
- Wyndham Lake Buena Vista
- Wyndham Garden Lake Buena Vista
Note: Benefits offered correct at the time of writing but may be amended at discretion of the vendor. Posts may be sponsored by the proprietor or brand being appraised. All opinions remain our own & are in no way influenced.